Thursday, September 29, 2011

Tri en France: Le maillot jaune

Warning: I'm on the keyboard in the center which makes for tough typing. French keyboards are weird. This will not likely be a long entry.

My ankle is doing better, BUT not great. I decided it was good enough to ride yesterday which it WAS except I was having some serious issues clipping out of the pedals for SOME reason so the extra force it took to get my cleat out wasn't exactly helpful to the ankle. In the end it was on a 45 minute ride and some guy yelled at me out his window, though I'm not really sure why or what he said. It's a lot easier dealing with that in France because I literally have no idea what they're saying and I just tell myself they don't know how to deal with people on road bikes (because they don't) and move on to the open shoulders of big old scary roads.

Despite the fact that my ankle is a little better it's still not the greatest and I'd rather not push it since I've got an 8-ish mile race at the end of October that I need to get back to training for ASAP. So that 45 minute ride has been all my exercise this week aside from some corework and girly push-ups (because I can't put that much weight on my ankle, and let's be real I can't attempt one-legged push-ups... not that cool). So you know, if you can't do a sport, why not read about it?

Thus, I have come close to the end of Lance Armstrong's bio It's Not About the Bike. You know, I'm disappointed in the fact that when I finish this book, I will put it down and say "Wow, that guy is a jerk. Talented, but a jerk." You would think someone's autobiography about how they had cancer and suffered through sustaining life would make you sympathize in some way. I have never seen/heard such a prime example of using people and treating them like absolute crap. I'm shocked that he admits acting the way he did/does, unapologetic and only somewhat appreciative to the people who patiently worked with and for him along the way. I think there are a lot of really abrasive aspects to Armstrong that grate on readers of this book. Overall it has been an interesting read, but I have to say I'm not proud that Lance Armstrong is an American athlete. I'm not proud that he holds 7 wins in the Tour de France. Especially after the EPO allegations which his teammates, whom he considers his close friends in this book, confirmed this year, I don't think I would ever wear a single article of Livestrong or Mellow Johnny merchandise.

No comments:

Post a Comment