Sunday, September 11, 2011

Tri en France: Running in the dark

I've been in France for 5 days and have run 2 times. I cannot WAIT until I buy a bike and, to my surprise, I am actually looking forward to receiving my student ID for Universite de Nantes so I can use the damn pool.

This morning I set out for a nice 6.5 kilometers in the dark. I couldn't sleep so gave up around 5:45 and headed downstairs, but it was still dark and rainy out. I tried waiting for the sun to rise or the rain to stop, but by 6:30 I still wasn't having in luck so I decided to suck it up and go.

WELL first I was completely freaked out by this crazy French guy who was cursing and banging on the glass at the bus stop (as if the rain and complete darkness wasn't enough). Luckily for this run I was able to find a nice little pedestrian path to take so that was fun.

I feel like the people in this program identify me as the triathlete/theater major who wakes up at the crack of dawn to run. When we talk in French, the people who don't know me as well ask me "as-tu couru ce matin? Ah, oui? Combien de temps?" Ah well.

Plus, two days ago we biked around an island and I met another cyclist on the trip. We had some fun tearing down hills on cruisers. My friend couldn't figure out how to shift and his legs were killing him. While attempting to help him, I dropped his chain (such a pro...) but at least I was able to fix it. Plus, it was comfortably familiar to be covered in bike grease. :]


I was looking in my little guide book and it looks like I can bike from castle to castle in the loire valley. Get EXCITED?! Pictures of castles and bikes? oh my.

No comments:

Post a Comment