Saturday, July 2, 2016

[Race Report(s)] Parker Mainstreet Criterium & CSP training series

Parker mainstreet criterium -  June 19
This race was slated to be a hot hot day and even though my start was 8:25, we were starting to feel it.
The course was fast and fun. Some fun zippy corners with a moderate hill.
It started out challenging - finding myself behind some people getting gapped in corners and despite repercussions, I knew I had to get around them. By the third lap, I was safely around and sitting in our small pack, playing to the race.
I took a few pulls at the front, making sure to stay smart. I tried to get my teammates to run some flyers with me, but it was challenging to get positioning for them. Race mode is interesting for me because I'm so yes/no; black/white. Either things happen or they don't. For instance, Sue, a more experience racer and coach on my team who I respect intensely said "Andrea, go" and I just went for my pull. No questions. Hard as hell effort, picking up the pace.
In the end, my teammate Erin came through with Sue on a hard hard pull. I couldn't hold and got gapped on the last lap. I came in last, out of 7, which is not terrible since I hung in the whole race. I learned a lot this race about stealing wheels from people and team dynamics.

CSP training series race 2 - June 23
I did these last year, but there is a race training series in Golden called P2P or CSP (peak to peak is a training company, CSP stands for Colorado State Police because it is there training track). It's a fun atmosphere in which you are simultaneously learning and racing. Very fun.
I did this week with my friend/teammate Trisha who has been with me through so many race through thick and thin. I've pushed her up mountains. She has pulled me through corners. It's a give and take.
This race was interesting because it involved the category just above us. It started with a bang, immediate sprint off the line which we ended up chasing down by a category three woman (the category above us). We ebbed and flowed, but generally the race was fast and high intensity. Two "sprint laps" left us all feeling pretty toasted by the finish.
I came through in 6th which wasn't too shabby. I tried fighting for the finish sprint but didn't have it. Maybe another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment