Saturday, July 30, 2016

[Race Report] Boulder Orthopedics Criterium

It's funny how things can come full circle.

This race was an A-race for me. I tapered this week. I slept. I got a massage. I didn't over do my training...and I fell in a pothole :(
But swollen ankle and all, I was already signed up and rested. I'd gone out for a spin on Friday and it seemed to not hurt on the bike. I felt anxious and strong - a good combo to fuel the fire on race day.

But warming up, I could feel my nerves kicking in.
I had texted my teammate Erin the night before because I knew she was racing and I wanted to make sure we synced up with a plan. We had one and we were ready to fight.

I worked hard, sitting in when we hit the windy parts - doing a good job at hiding behind other riders (including Erin).
Hiding more
See - that's me, hiding behind Erin
About halfway through, a rider launched a pretty powerful attack through and it definitely picked up the pace of our race. A few laps later, with three laps to go, I decided to make a move. I thought for sure people would come with me but I found myself a quarter mile down the road just having people start to catch me. I knew I wasn't going to TT away with a win on this race all by myself.

Erin swooped in yelling, "GET ON MY WHEEL!" And I did, sitting third wheel behind one other rider who managed to fight her way up there with Erin, but soon enough we were down to 1 lap to go. Erin launched a beautiful attack up the right, pulling me right in behind her. We came through the last turn first and second wheel, with a strong sprinter, just behind us. I knew she had a long sprint and come up to the final 200m I tried to jump off Erin's wheel and on to this woman's to tow me to the line, but I didn't have the power to hold her. Off she and a few other riders went, and I finished in the pack sprint.

head down at the finish


It was a real bummer to not place as well as I wanted, but the team dynamics we executed were really fun and it was definitely good to practice. It was nice to consider racing aggressively (like we did today) or patiently and how that can change things.

I said the full circle comment because this was one of the first crits I ever did three years ago (in fact, it was my second) and I was so glad to hang on to the pack that time. This time I had higher hopes and I definitely think it was a faster group, but it was very fun, nevertheless.

Now my twisted ankle is elevated and icing...and its time to gear up for tomorrow. Here are some more race shots from Eric:

No comments:

Post a Comment