Sunday, July 10, 2016

[Race Report] Winfield Criterium


I had planned for a while to race the Winfield Criterium during our trip to IL for a friend’s wedding this summer. I hadn’t race in IL since just after college, but it was here I’d seen my first crit and became even remotely interested in maybe participating in this road racing nonsense.

I had planned it out – I knew exactly how far it was from the hotel and pre-registered. I’d texted my friends the location with a pin to the park where the start line was. So prepared.

Then I plugged in the wrong park to the GPS and we drove 20 min in the opposite direction. I realized this, of course, pulling up to the wrong park. Great.

Now we plug in the correct park and it’s 25 min in the opposite direction and the race starts in 70 min and now I’m panicking. So we haul through toll roads (which we wouldn’t have had to pay if I hadn’t been a dummy and plugged in the wrong park in the first place – stupidity toll) and get to the race 35 min before it’s supposed to start. I jump out of the car and run to registration to pick up my number, while Eric unloads my gear.

Because I have the best boyfriend in the world, I come back from registration to a perfectly prepped machine: tires pumped, flat kit removed, everything in place. He was patient and ready to pin on my number then sent me off to warm up laps. I realized he had set up everything to a T whilst pedaling over to the course and just thought “ugh, rock on, Eric!”

He met me after my first warm up lap with his own bike to preview the course. It was technical with 8 corners – the first half of the course uphill, the second half down, including a nice tight chicane. Now of course my Garmin didn’t decide to turn on for the majority of my warm ups so that was annoying and I thought “man, this just isn’t falling into place, huh?”

I finished my warm ups excited to see Brad and Paula from Northwestern Triathlon came to watch me race. It was cool having old friends there cheering me on. I lined up with master’s men, women, and women’s cat 4 and 5. It was my first formal coed start. I looked around and realized by our race number bibs that our field was pretty small and thought “welp, the podium is obtainable.” Then they announced some basic instructions informing us they “didn’t know of any primes but in case one showed up, they’d ring the bell to let us know.” I started laughing thinking “seriously? You’ll just…let us know? Mid-race?”

Our race was quite delayed while they tried to make sure the course was “safe and clear” and I think it was the most time I’d ever spent nervously sitting at the line. A young girl started talking to me nervously saying it was her first criterium. I told her not to worry, stay relaxed, follow the wheel in front of her, and gave her a few basic tips, all while thinking, “please don’t crash me out.” After what seemed like forever but was probably 10-15 min, they sent us off and two masters women were off the line like rockets. A few masters men immediately chased behind and I attempted to go with them.

I was on their group until a less-experienced masters guy pulled around me and couldn’t hold the pace, gapping me from their group. I started to feel alone but realized no other women in my category had managed to catch that group at all. Soon, a small group caught up to me, with one woman in my category, one masters guy, and two masters women. We worked together for the rest of the race, trading off pulls. However, one of the masters women was super strong but a terrible bike handler. She was all over the road and had no idea how to corner. I tried to calmly tell her how to take the corners, but after a few laps, I was not so calm. Coming through the downhill portion I aimed to have the masters guy, the other woman in my cat, or myself pull through to take the corners because she was seriously unsafe in the fast, downhill turns. I thanked the other cat 4 woman for lining up her corners correctly and she just sort of laughed.

We continued to have a dynamic until with two to go, we were lapped by the main group.  That was a disaster – and I caught myself yelling “move out of their way” to the woman who was cornering terribly. Then I heard brakes screeching. Terrifying. The front group came through and were told “one to go” but they said “and this group has two to go referring to us.” We came through that lap, unsure if it was our final lap or not and I sort of half sprinted, but we kept racing. 

At this point it was three of us and we all looked at each other like “are we done?” but decided since we didn’t know, we’d keep going as they had said we had an additional lap and never given us a bell or a “one to go” or anything.

We hauled through the course a final time and here I started my sprint from the final corner and narrowly edged out the other woman in my category (whose name I later learned was Kelsey). However, if the other lap was our final lap, she definitely was in front of me and had it. I talked with her, unsure of our placement. But she agreed we kept racing through the last lap and she thought I had taken the win.

After about a 15 minute period of sitting around and watching a guy sit there scribbling our numbers on a piece of paper and highlighting things I realized this wasn’t exactly the most…well-organized race, which surprised me since it was supposed to be the local organization’s national championship.

I talked to the scribbling man and the announcer, and they told me that the second to last lap was in fact our finish. I was frustrated. I hadn’t sprinted. They hadn’t given us a bell or a one to go. I figured since it was a bunch of categories scored separately they might say SOMETHING. The announcer told me they didn’t have to give us any notification of last lap…but in fact they had kept telling us that we had one more lap than the first group! The announcer and the scribbling man said “well you two can decide what your final lap was.”

I had spent a couple minutes after the race chatting with Kelsey and her teammate Crystal. I found out Kelsey was planning to visit Colorado soon and we were talking about riding together and I suggested she try to come race and we had had a generally good conversation, so I walked over to her and said “So, they want us to decide what our final lap was.” It sucked. But we both knew we raced through to the second lap and they hadn’t given us a final lap notification and they kept telling us we had one more lap we had to do on the front group. We came to a consensus that that was the end of our race and she basically conceded the race to me.

It was a bittersweet moment. I was excited to take the top step and mentally, given how everything played out, it seemed fair. Had I sprinted the lap before, I think I could have taken it too, but none of us thought that previous lap was our finish.  It was an honorable move on her part but she totally could have made the argument for the previous lap since the front group had that as their last lap.  It was all very disorganized, poorly communicated and aggravating.  Ultimately, I don’t think the race organization cared much about our race since we were both racing on day licenses for their organization so neither of us could claim their grass-roots “National Championship” jersey so they just let us call our race what we wanted. The prize purse was pretty sweet though! If we had prize purses like that in Colorado, I think our races would be pretty insane.

This podium felt pretty anti-climactic given the whole situation and the size of the field, but it felt good to race well back in IL. Mostly, I hope I did make a friend from racing out there and I totally owe her some good rides and a brewery trip when she visits. 

The race was a good experience but the small group made for a lot more work for me. My heart rate was through the roof the whole time and there was little recovery no matter how hard I tried. I will say that the general mayhem of not knowing if there were primes, starting 10 min late, no bell lap/notification of final lap, being told we had to do our extra lap and then told we didn’t, etc. made me really appreciate the organization we have for our bike races. There is no confusion over when we are at 1 lap to go, especially if you are leading your race, even if there is a mixed category field. Everything is communicated and timely. The courses are well-marked and the fields are way more fun to race with. Definitely put Colorado racing into perspective for how awesome it truly is (even if it is extremely hard and kicks my butt). 

Out of the saddle and up we go


Podium pic smiles

No comments:

Post a Comment