Monday, July 22, 2013

EnduroBites on a LONG training day


Yesterday was a long day. I spent 3 morning hours on a bike, then 1 afternoon running and 1 evening doing yoga. PHEW I'm wiped. But luckily I kept my refueling in check and I was able to DO all this yesterday. During the ride, I brought with some EnduroBites which are apparently just BARELY launching on to the market.

I was introduced to these one day when I ran into Tribella to get my cassette to stop rattling - but it cost me next to nothing and mid-ride all I had was a credit card so I resolved to buy something else. Liz suggested I try some of these - so I got one of each flavor - fig & chocolate and chocolate espresso. I threw them in the fridge when I got home. Well OH MY GAWSH. One night I got hungry after a workout and wasn't much in the mood for anything but a small snack so I tore open the fig & chocolate. These were so good that they never actually made it on a workout with me. I only ate them pre/post workout because they were so delicious and starring at me.

The chocolate espresso made it a little further out on a 10-mile run and a 53-mile bike. I didn't love these as MUCH as the fig & chocolate (and trust me...I'm a coffee fanatic). I found these to be a little more grainy, which didn't suit my tastes as well.

For other athletes I'd say this - these are the best when they are cold. Keep them in the fridge (as the package instructs anyway). If you aren't one for heavy food, these probably won't be your favorite for racing. I'd compare them to Picky Bars and Larabars - less sticky and gooey than both. I'm a big fan of chocolate during races - chocolate gus, specifically. So another chocolate-flavored nutrition was a good call. I like that they are all natural. So, broken down:

pros:
yummy
all-natural

cons:
heavy
grainy

Take that as you will - but I'm totally buying a pack of fig & chocolate to eat on Aug 4 at Boulder 70.3. One of my friends once told me "bring something on the bike you look forward to eating" which I feel is TOTALLY valid for an ironman or half. I'll look forward to chowing down on a pack of these guys. The packaging is tough to open - so pre-cutting is necessary. Also, each pack has four bites so they are pretty sizeable. You may want to divide them out in individual saran wrap/tin foil/something.

The tumblr is pretty cool too - so check it: http://endurobites.tumblr.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment