Sunday, July 7, 2013

Back in the Saddle

I have 27 days until my next 70.3 and 1 week until my next race.

70.3 training has not been quite as intense as last year, which is sort of a blessing because when I got to race day last year.... I was exhausted. Then again, I am concerned about being less "ready." We will see. My swimming is comparable, my running is actually probably more as I've been in half marathon mode since April and my biking has certainly been less which I know is weird coming from this girl who loves her bikes more than creation.

I knew my needs for long rides have been looming though and since the onset of June I've been working on a 50+ mile ride/week when I'm not racing.

Once again, I spent July 4th on a riding extravaganza. I was told last minute on the 3rd that I would actually have the day off, so I left around 9 am with an estimated goal of a 4-hour ride. Not quite the 73-miler I pulled off last year, but still something.

My TT bike was making weird rattling noises and I needed to take it into the shop before putting more miles on it, so I suited up Isadora to ride:


I unfortunately found my Garmin wasn't working so I did the whole ride off time and my speed monitor on this bike. I ended up climbing the usual path that I often enjoy despite it being very trafficked and into Chatfield where I bike as far as I could until it dead ended and I turned around. Here are some pictures from that.



In the end I knocked out 63 miles at around 16 mph in just a little less than 4 hours. I finally felt good again about distance riding. It didn't hurt too bad until after 60 miles, so that was a good indicator. Now just to keep it up for the next 3 weeks until I taper. YIKES!



No comments:

Post a Comment