Sunday, July 17, 2011

Race recap: Evergreen Lake Triathlon

For my first race of the season and first successful olympic-distance triathlon, I was off in Hudson, IL racing with the team. It was supposed to be 90 degrees and utterly miserable, but instead it was like 80 degrees with lots of cloud cover and just generally mild climate.

The swim, for once, was fairly successful or as successful as it can be considering I'm such an awful swimmer. I didn't panic and sighting went well and I swam pretty close to the buoys.

My bike was better than I expected. I averaged 19.6 mph which is 1 mph higher than my goal of 18.5 mph. It was nice to look down and see that I finished my bike leg 4 minutes early. That being said, the hills really slowed me down and although I have been working on standing climbs, I wasn't able to do it at all during the race. The corners were awful and I didn't take them nearly as aggressively as I took Memphis.

My run was not awful, but not as fast as I wanted it to be. Partially this may be because I knew I had a full 60 min after the bike to reach my overall time goal so I took it easier than I may have. That being said, just after the 4th mile my chest really hurt... awesome. I finished strong and came in 1 minute and 13 seconds under my time goal of 3 hours.




Lot's of people on the team had great races yesterday and I'm excited for us to head out to Sylvania next month. For now, I've got lots of stuff to work on and nicer bikes to dream of.

No comments:

Post a Comment