Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Cycling is not as easy as it looks... seriously

This weekend I was biking with a friend on the tri team and we were discussing how challenging it is to be a truly "competent" cyclist. Sure you think it's "just like riding a bike," but even the most seasoned cyclists make mistakes. Brad was talking about his experience on a group ride with a bunch of very skilled cyclists (seriously, they kept like 26 mph WITH stops for lights). He made one mistake and the other cyclist it affected made a fuss about it and cued the whole group to start judging Brad. It's a rough world out there.

I feel like each time I go on a long ride I make another break-through, be it speed, skill, what have you, but there is always something you can do better. Sure, now I can get on and off/stop my bike (remember that post? yeaaahh challenge accepted) and I'm even doing pretty well with this drafting thing or balance and riding one-handed, but I've still got so many challenges to face.

When people say "it's just like riding a bike," sure you've got muscle memory but building up the skills it takes to signal, eat on the bike, do standing climbs/sprints (that's so difficult! and is consequently my next challenge), corner or do a flying mount/dismount, it takes a TON of practice. It's frustrating. Basically, that cliché is only 50% accurate. If everything people described as "it's just like riding a bike" was actually like riding a bike, do you know how bruised I would be?

Call me a noob. Go ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment