Friday, March 4, 2011

Hydration is key, but so is not wiping out

As I've mentioned I am only on my 6th month of triathlon training ... which started in September. Plus, I didn't really get on a real bike (aka not a spin bike) until January. I'm not sure if you are familiar with January in Illinois but it is NOT biking weather.

Although I have biked outside in my lifetime (leisurely, like most children do) - I never did any serious road training. So today I took advantage of the balmy 50-degree weather and hit the streets. I'm doing a tri in Texas next weekend, so this was sort of crucial to my training.
Some things I was working on:
- shifting gears
- getting comfortable moving my hands to different positions on the handle bars
- drinking water

Thankfully, I was rather successful with the first two. However, despite my efforts to control my bike with one hand, I could not bring myself to reach down, drink water, and put back the bottle all in a short amount of time that I am able to keep the bike steady. I haven't had much luck finding youtube videos to help me with this (because I guess it's kind of pathetic that I can't grab my water bottle).

in the end, note: it's important to figure out how to grab one's water bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment