Saturday, December 3, 2011

Tri en France: Nobody no nobody is gonna RAIN ON MY BIKE RIDE

Today was one of THOSE days. I skipped my workout yesterday to be normal and walk around with friends... and then the Gods of triathlon looked down on me and laughed. In all their power, they called my phone at 4 am this morning, which woke me up until 6. Then they made sure it was cold, windy, and pouring rain all morning...
Well, Gods of triathlon, nice TRI.

Against my better judgement I took my biking and running stuff down to the basement around 10 am this morning, and suited up. I left my sneakers in a pile with my bike lock, turned my lights on, and left the apartment building "oh puhlease, this isn't that bad." I probably shouldn't have thought that.


My ride was relatively horrifying. The rain got harder and I made a wrong turn that took me onto a highway that I really didn't want to be on in this weather. By some miracle, after a 10 min detour I found my way back to my route and went the correct way this time. I turned around at my usual round about. I'm not TOO scared of this one, but I am generally scared of round-abouts and corners. As I took this corner nice and tight... on wet roads, in the rain, the first car decided to blow the yield sign and sneak in ahead of me. Thanks dude. Then as approaching MY exit, this other car decided to take the round about at warp speed and almost cut me off. I literally saw my life flash before my eyes before he hit the brakes. Seriously dude? I'm exiting. CHILL OUT.


Needless to say, at this point I had already taken my glasses off because they were like a windshield with no wipers, but as soon as I exited that round about, I kind of wish I left them on. The wind was SO bad that I felt like my jacket was a parachute and I may have flown backwards into the air with my bike. Then on a downhill where I normally gear out going 26 mph, I was pushing to keep 17 mph.


Not having bricked in a while, I forgot how difficult it is to settle into a run after a bike. All though one good thing did come of it - I found a quicker path to the university (you know, 2 weeks before I leave).


But ultimately, I came home victorious, 75 minutes of workout later, covered in mud.
TAKE THAT STORMY DAY.

... I cannot say as much for my cleats, socks, and sneakers which are all cuddling by my radiator.
I swear this doesn't even do it justice

No comments:

Post a Comment