Friday, May 23, 2014

[Review] Half the Road film

Last night I convinced Joel into a "date night" that really...further encouraged his role as my professional sherpa and made me more excited about my new jump into women's road racing.
Half the Road website

A fellow rider on my company's road cycling club sent out an email about a screening of a new film called "Half the Road" about the world of professional women's bike racing. The event included two elite rider speakers and a viewing of the movie (and a raffle, where I won a cannondale co2 flat kit, woo hoo! but that is beside the point).

Joel, as an outsider, felt the movie was interesting but long, especially with the two speakers, but I had a different perception. As a female cyclist, I don't really have any delusions of pro-cycling. I think I could escalate to cat 2 and play with the big kids, but I don't imagine I'd ever be hanging out with pros. I knew the field of women's cycling was small but I had no idea of the history behind it.

I had no idea of the equality that had existed in the sport. It disappointed me to hear about the issues with the UCI maintaining the inequality. As a woman who dreams of creating a career in the industry, this was a call to arms. I believe fervently in the value of a woman's voice in the industry. I've walked into stores with tons of road bike knowledge and been jokingly offered a job three times. Gosh, one of these times, I've got to take it.

I've been to one store that had two female employees there. One of them was kind of the "uninformed" mechanic that only worked on basic stuff on commuter bikes. The other was more informed, but less of a presence. One thing I truly love about Tribella, my local go-to bike store, is there promotion of women's cycling and being a smart female cyclist. When I was in college, I was one of the best flat tire changers on the team and I was proud of that!! I wish cycling stores in general were more female friendly. We'd all use our barrel adjusters to tweak our shifting with the best.

Anyway, back to the film. My favorite female cyclist is Evelyn Stevens so I kind of wish she got more camera time, but I'm so glad she was included. Emma Pooley was freaking hilarious and awesome. She's like the Jennifer Lawrence of cycling - I think we would be best friends. It was nice to relate to one of the speakers on that level. I thought her comments were both poignant and funny.

On that level, I think the film really succeed. The combination of poignancy and relevant information mixed with comedy kept the audience engaged. I enjoyed hearing the stories of many professional cyclists and how they've done what they've done. Furthermore, the film is about so much more than cycling - it includes triathlon, running, and sports in general. Chrissie Wellington herself plays a major role! It was cool to listen to hear after hearing Mirinda Carfrae speak live just last week.

My only draw back was that the film felt very long. Perhaps this is because I am the worst about sitting through movies as is (the ultimate multitasker) and I probably would've done better if I were also sitting on my trainer and texting during my easy spin out intervals. ;)

One aspect I felt torn about was the depiction of Brian Cookson. I think he meant well, but is stuck in his ways and didn't want to make promises he couldn't make about changes in the UCI. I agree, he has the power to make changes, but in any business, it's not always up to one person. In my own office, I see how if one of our key directors supports something, the VP can be swayed towards or away something. It really isn't about one man. Yes, it is strongly influenced by one person, but the entire UCI isn't Brian Cookson, nor was it Pat McQuaid. Like anything, they are figureheads for an entire organization. Just because they run it, doesn't mean they can be blamed for everything. It's like the president of a democracy - (or, ya know, a democratic republic... or some might call our government an oligarchy) - just because the president's "board" or "party" does something, it doesn't mean it is entirely his downfall. I guess, that is what comes of being the leader though. You always take it on the chin for the whole group you represent.

Other takeaways, fire round:
- So excited about Le Tour Entier, Le Tour de France Feminine, etc.
- Women's Cycling Association. GET IT GIRLS
- This reaffirmed my decision to be supportive of people getting into cycling. I've been doing a lot of "learning" training rides for people on my company's club (a lot of them women). I'm so happy that, even if they'll be recreational riders, I feel like I'm helping.
- I think this is a place I belong. I hope I can find a team I really want to join next year.
- Crashing is so scary. I haven't done it in a number of years now, but as I get more into racing I know it will happen, even if it isn't my fault. I need to brace myself for the blow. :'( Let me call my insurance company real quick like.


Key takeaway for you, the reader: if you are a woman endurance athlete or a woman who believes in girl power (so...everyone, I hope!) go see this film if there is a screening coming up near you (see the link at the start of the entry)! It's worth it to think about the equality of female athletes and women in general. We are strong and we can be powerful. Take a seat at the table! OH, and remember to teach your daughters to ride a bike.

Here's the trailer (hope it works! if not, click on the website link and you'll see it there!!)
"Half The Road" trailer from kevin tokstad on Vimeo.



No comments:

Post a Comment