Saturday, September 14, 2013

Nestled in the Corner at Houston

I've found myself a little corner in Peets Coffee where I'm leaching power to my phone from an outlet as I anticipate limited charging time over the next few days. I've snuggled up with a skim pumpkin latte which REALLY tastes like pumpkin from the can. Not sure how I feel about it, but it will be finished.

I just purchased the blogger app for my phone so updating from the road will hopefully be less of a hassle. Think I can expense it? :) jk

I was a little worried and grumpy this morning about getting to the airport. Joel is uncommonly good about calming me down and talking sense into me when I get this way. He may think I'm just shutting up, but it really does level me out. As he said, of course everything went just fine. The bike was checked without a problem. I did get the $75 oversize fee which I expected. Honestly for how expensive it COULD be, I cannot complain.

I realized upon getting to the terminal, I forgot the book I meant to bring with me. I had to buy a new one for $17!!! Yikes. But so far, so good and a really apt choice. I bought "Wild" as memoirs have crept under my skin ever since taking the writing non-fiction class in college. The story the author tells is of a rough time in her life when she decided to spend 100 days hiking the pacific crest trail. Last summer I similarly wanted to spend a few days biking from Chicago into Wisconsin and back. A few hundred miles just to escape it all. I didn't do it and instead found myself moving to Denver where I had ample "soul searching" time while looking for a job. Funny enough, said job has brought me here to spend...a few days riding 220 miles. Funny how it all comes full circle.

As I read, my mind drifted to how little I packed. Really low on the supplies and bringing just the bare minimum. If you want me to spend 3 days cycling, I'm going to do just that. Not sure if a corporate tour is the best place to have this "roughing it" attitude, but ah well. Throw caution to the wind.

Before leaving, our manager asked us to do DISC personality tests. Much like the Myers Briggs, it measures you across a number of factors. I don't remember exactly what it all meant, but I was high D and high I - meaning very decisive and interactive. Low S and C- which in a nutshell means that I'm not very cautious, if maybe a little rebellious. So in the vein of that "test": who cares? I'm just going for it and using what I brought.

No comments:

Post a Comment